About St. Mark's Episcopal Church
Since its acceptance into the Episcopal Diocese in May 1858, Saint Mark's has had a history of surviving and growing in stature to the present day. In the beginning, Reverend Brown of Christ Church Frederica held services for the small group of parishioners in McConn Hall on the corner of Bay and Mansfield Street. During the period from 1859 to 1860 a schoolhouse was purchased by the church in which to hold services. The building was located on the east side of Egmont Street between Howe and Mansfield, where services were held until the Civil War when the congregation disbanded. Much later, the school was tobecome the site of the original Shiloh Baptist Church.
Not until 1866 did St. Mark's reassemble and start a rebirth along with plans for construction of a new building. The church was completed in 1874 with eyes now turned toward the St. Mark's parochial school which by 1877 boasted 40 pupils and two teachers. Unfortunately the school closed only two years later paving the way for the first public school in Glynn County. In 1876 when the school has first been completed a terrible yellow fever epidemic struck Brunswick with it's full fury taking many lives. One of them being the wife of Rector Rev. Boone who also became ill and upon recovery left Brunswick stricken with grief. In 1893 the city was struck again with the scourge of yellow fever leaving the church and the city of Brunswick reeling with the pain and suffering of it's people. Tragedy struck again in 1896 in the form of a tornado doing extensive damage to the beloved St. Mark's. During this time a rector known to many as a hero, Reverend Henry Lucas, worked through the epidemics and a tornado, remaining until his death in 1900. Even now his remains lie in rest under the chancel of the church he cherished.
St. Mark's never stopped during the times of turmoil and sickness and strived to grow and reach out to the congregation and the community. In 1909 the decision was made to build a new church using much of the old church as a base. December 2, 1915 St. Mark's held the first service in the newly remodeled church which has since withstood the test of time with some renovations. Be sure to look at St. Mark's window which now faces Gloucester Street. The window was crafted in 1875 by Tiffany of New York and originally hung over the altar, but during renovations was moved to its present location.